Revised June 2018
Who we are
Our website address is: https://www.aischool.no
Arendal International School (AIS)
Julius Smiths veien 40, 4817 His, Norway
What personal data we collect
Teachers, parents, family members, and students may create accounts with us with one of the school’s systems linked to by this website. We also collect limited log-data from all visitors to our marketing website.
What information do we collect
Account Information: When teachers, parents, family members, or school administrators create an account with one of the school’s systems we collect the name, email address, password, and in some cases profile picture. We may also collect your phone number and other information if you enter it in your Account Settings.
Students cannot create accounts by themselves but must be invited to by a teacher or school administrator. Where students have permission to use our systems, we collect personally identifiable information about them including their names, email addresses, and profile picture. This information may be entered by a teacher or the student or populated from the student’s account with a third party sign-in service, such as their Google account.
Messages: AIS collects messages that are sent and received by teachers, family members, and students.
Communications: AIS collects any information you send to us directly, such as email communications.
Information from your Google Account or other Third-Party Sign-in Service: AIS allows teachers, parents, and students (after being invited by a teacher) to sign up for and log into some of our services using a Google Account. When you sign up for an account using one of these Third-Party Services, we use the name, profile picture, and email address (if available) from these services.
If you log onto your account with one of the school’s systems linked to by this website, a temporary cookie will be set to determine if your browser accepts cookies. This cookie contains no personal data and is discarded when you close your browser.
When you log in, we will also set up several cookies to save your login information and your screen display choices. Login cookies last for two days, and screen options cookies last for a year. If you select “Remember Me”, your login will persist for two weeks. If you log out of your account, the login cookies will be removed. The websites that will set cookies include aischool.no, openapply.com, managebac.com, google.com, youtube.com, and other various systems linked to by our school website.
Embedded content from other websites
Articles on this site may include embedded content (e.g. videos, images, articles, etc.). Embedded content from other websites behaves in the exact same way as if the visitor has visited the other website.
How long we retain your data
For users that register on one of the school’s own systems linked to by this website, we store the personal information they provide in their user profile. All users can see or edit their own personal information at any time. Website or system administrators can also see and edit that information. Information is kept as required by law.
What rights you have over your data
If you have an account with one of the school’s systems linked to by this website, you can request to receive an exported file of the personal data we hold about you, including any data you have provided to us. You can also request that we erase any personal data we hold about you. This does not include any data we are obliged to keep for administrative, legal, or security purposes.
How does AIS use this information
We only use this information to provide our services to you. For example, we use this information to:
- Allow you to access and use our services by verifying your identity and storing your content.
- Provide teachers, schools, and students with support.
- Notify you about activity on and updates to your account or your child’s account (if you’ve indicated in your account settings that you’d like notifications).
- Research, understand and analyze trends of users to improve and develop our products and services.
- Investigate, prevent, and detect activities on our service that we believe may violate the law or applicable regulations. We may investigate accounts to determine whether they comply with school policies.
Does AIS allow advertising or share data for advertising?
AIS strives to never display ads, allow third-party ads, share data for the purpose of displaying ads or allow data collection by third-party advertisers or data brokers.
In what circumstances may AIS need to share my information?
We do not sell or share any Student Data, Journal Content, Messages, or Account Information with third parties except in the limited circumstances detailed below:
- We use a small number of third-party services in order to operate and improve the AIS systems – for example, a data center operator that manages our servers or a notification service that helps us send you messages about your account. These services need access to your personally identifiable information in order to work (i.e. your email address is required to send you email) but are contractually prohibited from using that information for any other purpose other than to provide the service. When these third-party services transfer the personal information (Personal Data, as that term is defined in GDPR) of EU residents, these services are processors and are contractually bound to also comply with GDPR to protect your data privacy and security.
- AIS may disclose your information to a third party to comply with applicable laws or regulations, or a valid legal request – including to meet national security or law enforcement requirements. If we are going to release your data, we will do our best to provide you with notice in advance by email, unless we are prohibited from doing so by law.
- AIS may disclose student Account Information and to the child’s school district upon request, as required by law.
Data Protection Officer (DPO) at AIS: Karen Klausen, email@example.com